Posted on: 30 September 2015
When you walk into a room that has been recently flooded, the damage is immediately apparent. Clutter on the floor, waterlogged books and photographs, soggy carpeting or a floor that squishes when you walk across it… it's not a pretty sight.
But even after the obvious damage has been taken care of, you're not necessarily in the clear. In the weeks and months after a room has been flooded, here are some things you need to watch for.
If the water damage was severe – and it often is with flooding – then you may have had your flooring ripped up and replaced. Even if you did, it's important to keep an eye on the condition of your floor. Water that soaks down through the floor and into the subfloor can, if the subfloor is not properly dried out, then wick back up through your dry flooring. Watch for any signs of dampness as well as swelling or buckling in wood flooring.
This is most likely to happen if your floor was dried without professional equipment or if the floor was replaced without the subfloor being checked for damage. If there was standing water in the room for a long time, this also increases the likelihood that water soaked down into the subfloor. Sometimes, people try to dry their own floors with fans, but this is a poor replacement for the specialized vacuum systems that water damage restoration companies have access to.
The first sign of mold after water damage is usually the odor. It's often described as musty, damp, or stale. If water has soaked into hidden areas such as the subfloor or the insulation in the walls, these are prime places for mold to grow, and you will smell this hidden mold before you see it. That makes it very important not to ignore this type of smell after a flood.
Mold can cause further damage to your home, and it can be a serious respiratory irritant, especially if you have an underlying breathing problem such as allergies, asthma, or lung disease. If you do smell this odor, try to pinpoint where it is coming from. If you can't find any mold, consider having a mold inspection that will look behind walls and under floors for the source of the smell.
Water can have a very serious effect on electrical appliances. That's why it's important to have appliances professionally cleaned after a flood. Internal corrosion can occur, damaging the appliances or causing short circuits. If you didn't have your appliances inspected at the time of the flood, you should do so as soon as possible. Since the damage is internal, you may not see any signs of corrosion before an electrical fire.
To learn more about water damage, contact a company like Paradise Cleaning & Restoration.Share